What Size Storage Unit Do You Need?
Figuring out which storage unit size will work for you may be simpler than you realize. When you look at all of the belongings you have that you hope to put in storage, it can seem overwhelming, but a lot of it has to do with the organization of your unit. Let's take a look at common unit sizes and which items you'll commonly find stored in them to get an idea of which one may be right for you.
To get a personalized size suggestion, we recommend going straight to our Storage Calculator.
What Storage Unit Sizes Can Hold
It can be hard to visualize what can fit in a storage unit, but we've got you covered! Here's what you can expect to be able to fit into your storage unit based on dimensions.
- What 5x5 Storage Units Can Hold: Five feet wide by five feet long, and 25 square feet total, this is the smallest unit in most facilities. It's roughly the size of a small walk-in closet. It can usually hold 1-2 small pieces of furniture, tall items like lamps, or roughly 8 boxes (size depending). It's good for seasonal decor, extra chairs or small furniture, or boxes or totes with clothing or other items.
- What 5x10 or 10x5 Storage Units Can Hold: This next size up is either five or ten feet wide by five or ten feet long and 50 square feet total. It is about the size of a standard walk-in closet. It can usually hold 1-2 large pieces of furniture or mattresses and roughly 15 boxes (size depending). It is good for bicycles, holding a few things during a remodel, or storing some items that might normally go in a garage.
- What 10x10 Storage Units Can Hold: Ten feet by ten feet and 100 square feet total, this unit is the size of a standard bedroom, with the ability to hold furnishings for a 750 sq. ft. residence, including a couple of major appliances. This is a popular size when downsizing, relocating, or undertaking a bigger home remodel.
- What 10x14, 10x15, and 10x17 Storage Units Can Hold: At ten feet wide and fourteen, fifteen, or seventeen long, you get 140-170 square feet. Roughly the size of two bedrooms or a single car garage, these units can hold furnishings for a 1000 sq. ft. residence, including most major appliances found in the average home. These sizes are common for storage between moving, clearing out garages, or temporary relocations.
- What 10x18, 10x19, 10x20, and 10x23 Storage Units Can Hold: Ten feet wide and eighteen to twenty-three feet long gets you up to 230 square feet. These are roughly the size of 2-3 bedrooms. They can hold appliances and furnishings for a 1500 sq. ft residence, and may also be able to hold compact vehicles (depending on the length and width of the vehicle). This is a good size for complete home renos, long-term deployment or relocation, or holding entire home contents between moving.
- What 10x25 and 10x30 Storage Units Can Hold: Ten feet wide by twenty-five or thirty long gives you 250-300 square feet of storage space. These are our units, with enough storage room to hold the furnishings of a 2-3 bedroom home, a boat, a commercial trailer, or most full-size vehicles. Good for in-between moves, additional business storage space, or vehicle storage.
So, What Size Storage Unit Do You Need?
Determining the right storage unit size for your needs requires a little bit of planning. If the info above doesn't give you a good idea of what size you need for your stuff, here are a few steps you can take to better determine the best unit for your needs.
First, you'll want to make a list of the items you intend to store, including all furniture, appliances, vehicles, boats, outdoor gear, mattresses, etc.
Next, you'll need to estimate how many boxes you will be putting in your storage unit.
Finally, you can input this information into our Storage Calculator for a personalized estimate of which size unit you'll need.
Don't Forget about Extras
Finding the right storage unit size is one thing, but thinking through the amenities you need is another thing entirely. For example, if you need shelving in your unit, that's something we can rent out to you through our Rent-A-Rack shelving.
Do you need the ability to access your unit at all hours of the day and night without having to deal with going through a facility or handling padlocks or codes? With our 24-hour Bluetooth access to your unit, you can do just that!
Here are our additional amenities that you may not have considered but may realize you will want or need:
- Climate-controlled units
- Easy Online Reservation and Leasing Options
- Moving Van for Your Use When Moving In
- Onsite Restroom
- Insurance Policies
- Free Moving Boxes & Tape
- An Onsite Business Center
- Automated Bill Payments
- Complimentary Bottled Water, Coffee, and Snacks
We also provide top-rated security, so you can rest assured that your belongings are always safe with us. Would you like to learn more about Elevate Self Storage? See why Meridian and Boise area residents choose to store their items at our facility or contact us!