The key to selling your home is to stage it just right. You want to paint the perfect picture for home buyers to envision living there. But so often, we find it challenging to know where to keep all of our stuff so that it won’t clutter the house during the weeks, or even months, that you need to keep your home staged. That’s why a storage unit can be the perfect solution to keep your stuff out of sight but not out of mind.
Here are some tips for you to take advantage of a storage unit while you’re staging your home.
Benefits of a Self-Storage Unit for Home Staging
Moving homes can be a very busy time, but a storage unit is here to make things a lot easier on you. Here are just a few of the many benefits of renting self-storage while you make the big move.
- It’s out of the house: Having a closet, basement, or garage cluttered with items isn’t the most welcoming sight for people looking to buy a new home. A self-storage unit gives you a single place to store everything.
- Quick access: Your items can be easily accessed whenever you want them.
- Climate-controlled: You can rent a climate-controlled unit to store sensitive items in, which is much better than leaving these items in a hot or cold garage for extended periods.
- All in one place: Instead of keeping items in several different rooms of your home or a family member’s home, you’ll always know exactly where each of your belongings are: Safely tucked away in self-storage.
Tips for Self-Storage When Staging Your Home
It’s time to roll up the sleeves and get to packing! There are a few steps you should take after you’ve decided on renting a unit. You can start by:
- Sizing up your items: Take a look at everything that needs to be put into self-storage. This will give you an idea of how big of a storage unit you need to rent. Do you need a climate-controlled unit? Do you need multiple units? Measure all of your major items to help your decision.
- Choose a unit: There are a host of storage units for you to choose from—outdoor units, indoor, climate-controlled, and a variety of sizes. Choose the one that best fits your needs!
- Pack it up: It’s time to move it all in. Be sure to wrap up any items that need protecting. Pack smaller items into labeled boxes. And put taller and heavier objects toward the back of the unit.
- Organize it: If there are any items that you know you’ll need easy access to, make sure you pack those objects near the front of the unit. Organize things in a way that makes sense to you. You don’t want to have to reshuffle boxes around constantly. Plus, it’ll make this a smoother process when it’s time to transfer to your new home.
- Time to stage: Now that everything is out of the house. It’s time to stage your home!
How to Stage Your Home
Once you’ve secured your self-storage unit and moved all items out of your house, you can now focus on creating the picture-perfect house. The goal is to make your home feel warm and inviting to guests. This entails:
- Removing excess furniture pieces: Keeping items in the house limited can make a house feel larger and give guests more of an idea of how their furniture will look in each room.
- Depersonalizing rooms: If you have any family photos lying around, it’s recommended that you remove these personal items from your home. You want guests to be able to picture themselves living here.
- Opening the blinds: Use as much daylight in your house as possible, rather than house lighting. Aim for a bright and friendly-looking house.
- Making it shine: Give your home a facelift by restoring everything back to its former shine.
- Filling your home with aromas: Once the cleaning is finished, you should add some scented candles or pleasant sprays to each room of the house. Don’t go overboard, but a spray or two in each room will go a long way. Remember to add pleasant smells each day that people will be coming over.
Back to You
Staging a home is much easier when you rent a self-storage unit. You’ll no longer have to worry about where to put everything, you’ll have fast access to anything you need, and your items won’t be affected by the hot or cold air that comes with cramming it all into the garage. Storage units are here to make the big move feel smooth as you put your house on the market.
Getting ready to sell your home? Check out how our self storage units can make it easy on you.